- Buy a few things
- Get your student pilot certificate
- Get medically evaluated
- Find a flight instructor / flight school and target rotorcraft
- Pass the helicopter knowledge exam
- Pass the helicopter practical exam
- (Acquire the appropriate aeronautical experience)
|Helicopters flying over Ocean City, NJ|
1. Buy a few things (my recommendations)...
- ASA HELICOPTER STUDENT PILOT KIT
- Jeppesen CR-3 Circular Computer (6" diameter) JS514237
- Sectional maps, e.g., VFR Sectional WASHINGTON SWAS
- Helicopter Maneuvers Manual: A step-by-step illustrated guide to performing all helicopter flight operations
- Aircraft Weight and Balance Handbook (eBundle Edition): FAA-H-8083-1B (FAA Handbooks series)
2. Get your Student Pilot Certificate
3. Get medically evaluated
4. Find a flight instructor / flight school and target rotorcraft
Answer these two questions:
- Where would I like to get my flight instruction?
- Which rotorcraft would I like to train in?
5. Pass the Recreational Helicopter Pilot Knowledge ExamSign up for, sit and pass the RECREATIONAL PILOT – ROTOTCRAFT/HELICOPTER (RPH) relative to 14 CFR 61.97 - Aeronautical knowledge. It is best that you attend a good ground school to assist in acquiring the appropriate knowledge. You will also need a logbook endorsement or test preparedness authorization. Note; You may get authorized by ASA Prepware after passing two practice tests at 80% or higher. To pass the actual exam, you'll need 70% or higher.
6. Pass the Recreational Helicopter Pilot Practical ExamFor a helicopter rating, you must be proficient in the following:
- Preflight preparation;
- Preflight procedures;
- Airport and heliport operations;
- Hovering maneuvers;
- Takeoffs, landings and go-arounds;
- Performance maneuvers;
- Ground reference maneuvers;
- Emergency operations;
- Postflight procedures.
The following is achieved through flight training and a log book endorsement. Here is a demonstration of the practical exam.